Wednesday 12 September 2007

C25K Update: Week 5 Runs 1 & 2

Well, decided to start this again, this time ONLY running outside. I've had enough of doing it on the treadmill, getting to running outside and struggling. From here on in, all C25k running will be on the paths.

So I decided to start back at week 5 again. On Tuesday after a game of squash with one of the lads at work, I ran back to work from the gym, about 2.5km - 3km. I done this as 2 x 6.5 min runs, with a 2.5 min break in between. I'm putting this down as my Week 5 Run 1, as obviously I was doing some exercise beforehand to compensate for the run I missed.

So tonight, I go for the second run of the week, which calls for a 5 min warmup, followed by 2 x 8 min runs with a 5 minute break in between. I actually skipped the warm-up (I always do for these, warming up instead on the first run) and completed the first eight minute run. At the end, I was glad of the break.

The five minute break allowed me to walk one of the (three) hills on the route, placing me on its apex when the second run started. Once at the bottom of that hill, I immediately start to climb the longest hill on the course, which took about 5 minutes and which I completed non-stop for the first time tonight. Made it to the corner (top of the hill and reference point) in 19 mins, just slightly slower than previous times, despite the 5 minute walk. When the eight minutes were up, unlike the first run, I felt as if I could have continued, which is probably why a warm-up to start off is a good idea.

I actually done another 5 minute break followed by a final eight minute run, which almost took me home. Again, could have probably continued, but decided to stick with the plan. Got home in 39m 09s, about 3.5 mins slower than my PB, but like I said, I could have kept going at the end of the second and third runs.

Next up is a break-through run...5 mins warm-up followed by a 20 minute non-stop run. Think that I might actually do the warm-up for this and see how it goes. If I can't do it, I'll just repeat this week again next week.

No comments: