Thursday 19 July 2007

Today I did..,

10km on the bike (first 10km out of the 100km I set myself for the month), followed by a relatively easy jog at 9kmph\5.5kmph pace, for 45mins. Covered 5.94km in the time.

I'm a little bit confused as to what to do regarding my heart rate training now. I've been sticking to the 150-166bpm zone for the last month or so, varying the pace in different runs. However, when I go back to doing a slower run like tonight, after the initial run to get to the upper limit (6 mins today, but after a pretty fast bike ride where resting HR was 120bpm as I got onto the treadmill), later runs generally go for about 1m 45s before topping out. Surely I should be able to go for longer than that at this stage.

This leads me to think that I'm under-estimating my HR-zones. For the last few week I was actually leaving my upper limit open-ended, stopping when I was tired or felt the burn. What I seemed to notice happening was that my HR would continue to increase until I topped out around 175bpm. I'm thinking of setting that as my upper level for future sessions and see how that goes.

Now I appreciate that some of that zone probably includes some anerobic training, but as the intensity is the same, hopefully it'll help push increase my efficiency in the aerobic training zone. Who knows, but I'm going to give it a go for a while and see what happens.

No comments: