Wednesday 8 October 2008

Tough run

Following on from my post yesterday, aimed to do some running tonight at 170bpm. Was kinda thinking of doing around 45 mins, but 10 mins in and I was thinking I'd be lucky if I lasted to 11 mins!

Kept in there, making it to 3km but wanting to stop as soon as I could. Dug in again, focusing on the 5km mark which I'd done before at a similar effort level and then decided to go for an extra km. Then I was less than a km from home, so it was hardly worth stopping then! Crazy what you can do if you don't let your mind get in the way!

BTW, its easily a PB for my "big lap", by over 4 mins!

I was really surprised at the RPE (rating of perceived exertion) difference between 160bpm and 170bpm. Yesterdays run I'd have put down as a 4 (or 5) on a scale of 10. Todays effort was a lot closer to 10...probably at least an 8! We're only talking about 10bpm! I guess it probably illustrates that I've been training so much at that level its become easy (even if times aren't particularily fast). Perhaps getting out of the comfort zone won't be such a bad idea.

Another thing I noticed today was that I really dropped off from the 4km point onwards...anyways here are the splits. Here's an overview of the run.
1km: 5m 25s
2km: 5m 42s
3km:5m 46s
4km: 5m 42s
5km: 6m 03s
6km: 6m 05s
6.9km: 4m 55s

No comments: