Wednesday 3 September 2008

New 5km Personal Best

After another day of eating any and ever biscuit I came across, I decided to go for a run for the first time in a few days. It was a real struggle and I really had to force myself out but got the running gear on in the end.

As it was a bit late, just decided on a flat out 5km run. Tough going, as these things generally are but found the first km very good. Second km wasn't too bad either, but it was definitely getting tougher, especially as I knew the hilly section was coming up. I struggled up that, feeling like a madman as I was gee-ing myself up in my head...get to the top of the hill and you can have a rest, you're making great time so don't stop, etc, etc.

So got to the top, after about 16 mins. I remember when I first started running getting to that point after a particularly fast effort getting there with 18 mins showing and that definitely brought a smile to my face and an inner resolve to continue.

Next km wasn't too bad, as its flat and relatively feature-less. Last km was really tough. It's slighly uphill and the last 1oom is definitely uphill. Really had to dig deep but thankfully made it. Watch was showing 27m 49s for 5.1km.

In ST, it had my 5km split as being 27m 12s. My previous best was 28m 24s, so I've knocked over a minute off. Must have been the biscuits. Looking at the splits, it was the first two km!

Here are the splits (last pb splits)
1km: 5m 13s (5m 52s)
2km: 5m 19s (5m 47s)
3km: 5m 29s (5m 33s)
4km: 5m 35s (5m 36s)
5km: 5m 35s (5m 33s)

1 comment:

Andrew is getting fit said...

It's a well known fact that biscuits boost your speed. :)

Congrats on the new PB!