Wednesday 13 June 2007

Back in the saddle

After a few years of what can only be described as absolute laziness, I've been back on the bike now for two consequtive days in a row (I've probably done this a few time over the years but bear with me). I used to cycle the whole time when I was in college in Dublin...when I think of the number of times I climbed the hill up to DCU its enough to make the legs turn to jelly. Sadly, that was years ago, and the purchase of a car removed any need to cycle places.

So when I broke the drivers window earlier in the week, it gave me a good excuse to get back into cycling. How things have changed. I've done about 200km on my bike since I purchased it this time last year...hardly anything really. Longest cycle that I done was from Ely to Cambridge - about 28km which took me just over an hour. Not too bad, but not that great either. Even the slightest of hills seems to kill me these days...I don't know what the hill to DCU would do to me now!

Still though, its all good and hopefully i start putting a few more miles in each week. There's a bike ride from London (Watford I think) to Cambridge next month that I'm considering entering (50miles in total) which would be an interesting benchmark. I'm also thinking of cycling to the gym from now on...its only about 2.5km via the quickest route, but it'll be easy enough to bump that up to 10km which would be a nice warm up.

No comments: