Monday 3 March 2008

Swimming lesson

Had my first swimming lesson this evening with a local instructor. She's pretty old school, none of the Total Immersion stuff seemed to wash with her at all.

I forgot my goggles which wasn't exactly a great start to the session. She got me to do a length first off, which I didn't really cover myself in glory! She was saying that I seemed to be over-rotating, which doesn't really surprise me. The TI drills really encourage that, to almost over-exaggerate the moves. She seemed to also be happy enough with my stroke, apart from the fact that I was "catching up" (which basically means that I'm using one arm at a time).

First thing she gets me to do is a push and glide to see how my kick is. She seemed pretty happy with it, which is good, especially as its one of the main things I've been focusing on in TI.

Next up was basically a swim without breathing. To my surprise, I made it about 2/3's of a length. Next up was using a float and stroking with one arm. I seemed ok with that (kinda), almost being able to breath ok. Left hand stroking seemed weak.

When she asked me to put it together, it was a disaster though. Couldn't breath at all. Needs work thats for sure.

No comments: