Sunday 2 January 2011

NYR: Fitness - cycling

Fitness-wise, my main focus in 2011 is going to be the bike. I'll definitely be running again (see below) but for the most part, biking will be taking priority. I'm also hoping to get back into the pool in 2011 and christen the wetsuit that I bought but never used in 2010!

I've also decided to "retire" from gaelic football, but no doubt I'll be called in for a few guest appearances.

Cycling
I've got a couple of goals in this category, which if I acheive, will certainly aid in the completion of other goals.

Distance
This goal will take a standard format where bronze = 4000km, silver = 5000km and gold = 6000km

100km+ rides
The plan here is to do at least one 100km ride per month. Some of these may take the form of events but a good few of these should also be training rides. The goals again take a standard format, where bronze = 12, silver = 16 and gold = 20 100km+ rides.

Obviously, the more I do of these, the more realistic the first goal becomes :)

Another way I hope to help achieve this is to join the local cycling club, which do group rides most weekends.

Time Trials
Not sure what to put here, but would like to do a few time trials over the course of 2011. Standard for this will be: bronze = 3, silver = 7 and gold = 12

3 comments:

Andrew(ajh) said...

Good to see you back in blogland Chris. I think choosing cycling as the main thrust is a good choice, I've done the same thing, it is so much easier on the body. I successfully completed a 5000km goal in 2011, and have a new "virtual Tour de France" goal for 2011.

Good lick with it, I'll be cheering from the sidelines.

Andrew(ajh) said...

Bloody iPad keyboard. Obviously the first 2011 was supposed to be 2010, and lick supposed to be luck!

Chris said...

Haha, thanks Andrew - much appreciated. The 5000km goal actually came from your blog (with a slight modification).

Do you think cycles to \ from work should count towards the goal (about 10km each way)?